Hey troll enthusiasts! I am very happy to announce to you all that I just installed DataDump on my wiki, so now I can regularly back up Trollpedia.

Trolls had the luxury to take down the wiki for a while now and undo all the work done there, but they’re too late! But not only that, I could have done something that could have caused the wiki to go permanently offline like Aediot; the previous head honcho of Encyclopedia Dramatica, since I am new to this webmaster stuff.

If I had issues installing it I had another extension ready to be deployed called “DumpsOnDemand” and I still do just in case, though I am more familiar with DataDump, so that is my prefered choice.

In other news

The wiki now officially supports spoilers, I installed an extension for that. That is not really the most important thing it needs, I still have to fix some other issues with the wiki, but it is there if anyone needs it. Otherwise, we have the template available too, which still works the last time I checked.

Peace out!

There is a gif file on Miraheze that won’t download, it gives me “18 errors – transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining”.

It was completely fine when I sent it to Miraheze 1 year ago, so did it somehow get damaged? Can gif files corrupt themselves or did it get corrupted because of Miraheze? I will not be pointing fingers at the moment because I have no idea why that problem happens.

For reference, here’s the file:

It should display normally since it is an img tag linking back to Miraheze, but that is it really. Now, it is not really important since it was just used once to warn a troll, it is not used constructively anywhere on the wiki, so I’d say whatever.

Screenshot of an email header.

It came to my attention that emails sent from Trollpedia would not come through, in fact, those same emails came back to me with this short message attached:

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

As well as the forwarded email.

I am working to get this fixed, but in the meantime please write down your password on a piece of paper, otherwise, you won’t be able to recover your account if you ever forget the password.

If you do forget your password and are unable to log in, get in touch with an admin to get your account back.

Today’s blog post is a simple review of two wiki sites I previously used.

Click on “more” further down below to read the review on ShoutWiki.


Miraheze review

Miraheze is a community wiki farm similar in design to Wikia/FANDOM. It is neither a shared hosting service nor a dedicated hosting service, it was simply a wiki that lets you create more wikis on the site. So whenever you wanted to blog you had to use your wiki to do so, there was no WordPress.

As a long-time user of Miraheze, I can say for sure that I do not recommend Miraheze for multiple reasons.

The first reason is simple, the site is very “500 error”-prone. It could not go for over a week without freaking out and preventing me from contributing to my own wiki. I did not think much of it at the time, but in retrospect, it was so bad that I had created a backup, although I never really needed it. The errors would pop up to the point where I created a wiki on Shoutwiki, just in case it suddenly stops working altogether (Again, it was left untouched).

When they upgraded their Mediawiki installation, they did not do so without causing heavy discomfort inside their own community. First thing first, it broke all the wikis so that nobody could contribute effectively due to the captchas no longer showing up, and for a while, all of Miraheze’s noticeboards were filled with complaints from users that would get errors from trying to edit their articles. It has been 1 year since this happened, so I do not recall all the details, but that is the gist of it. You can and should update Mediawiki regularly, but not to the detriment of your own userbase.

Sometimes, they install extensions that can be exploited, however, they somehow let said extensions go unnoticed for several years until they are used frequently across Miraheze’s wikis. So by that point, Miraheze then removes the extension and breaks all the wikis that previously used it, which is outrageous in itself, but they do not wanna clean up the mess they have caused, they expect the users themselves to clean up after their mess. I have gone in-depth about that issue on the wiki site itself and it was a major reason for me to leave Miraheze. Furthermore, that begs the question, how do they verify whether an extension is safe or not? I really wanna know their methods because they do not appear to be effective.

UPDATE: This could have been fixed via MassEditRegex and Replace text, neither of which were suggested to me when I asked for support from Miraheze, instead they told me to download a Python script and deal with it. Considering that this wiki farm has an absurd amount of extensions, most of which I did not need I did not know it had either of these installed, this could have saved me a headache. Replace text is installed by default on Mediawiki, so at least if similar issues were to occur on Trollpedia, I know how to perform a change on multiple pages at once.

Continue reading “Review of Miraheze & Shoutwiki”

Hello, folks! You are on the first blog post on that beautiful WordPress site.

This is mostly to try out WordPress.


Anyway, as you have read in the title I had a few issues setting up this website.

There is the following error below I get whenever I set Mediawiki to Memcached.

A PHP error.

I know my host supports Memcached, so I really do not understand what it entails and the error gives me no result when doing a simple Google search. At the end of the day, I thought it was better to set Mediawiki to “Cache Anything” instead, works like a charm.